What are neoprene socks?
Neoprene is a material that is widely used in making waterproof clothe times for water activities, like making wetsuits, or known as scuba suits for scuba divers. The neoprene material is waterproof (not 100%), and socks made of this material are also known as waterproof socks.
This doesn’t mean that neoprene socks are only waterproof socks. There are other waterproof socks also made of other materials like lycra, and neoprene is another in the list.
How are neoprene socks effective in hiking?
There are some properties that make neoprene socks better for hiking.
- Neoprene socks are more durable than other socks, to compare take any waterproof socks, and still, neoprene is more durable. Neoprene socks can last up to years if the quality is good and the socks are thick.
- On top of that, neoprene socks are more on the high end, in quality, in contrast to its rivals.
So, what are some pros of neoprene socks that make them worth and suitable for hiking?
- The main function of neoprene socks is what you expect from any other waterproof socks, which is keeping your feet dry.
- Another plus of neoprene socks is warmth. Yes, they protect your feet from the cold, if you are hiking in winters below 20 degrees.
- The main point that makes neoprene socks worth your money is their versatility. Neoprene socks provide you versatility as you can use them for hiking, swimming, Canoeing, skateboarding, etc.
Neoprene socks can be very useful if you are hiking in Hawaii or the narrows.
The best way to wear neoprene socks for hiking is wearing them with waterproof hiking boots to add extra protection layers. This is best for winter hikes.
For summer hikes on wet and muddy surfaces, pair neoprene socks with your trainers or summer hiking shoes.
When should you wear neoprene socks while hiking?
It’s true that you don’t need to wear neoprene socks every time you go hiking. It is best to wear neoprene socks in winters to keep your feet dry and warm.
Unlike most waterproof socks, neoprene socks are not breathable and that may be a problem to some in summers, especially if you have sweaty feet. Well, if you fall in that category, you should avoid wearing neoprene socks on summer hikes where the trail is dry and the sun is high over your head.
Neoprene socks buying guide
- It is important to know what neoprene is best for you as they come in different thicknesses, sizes, and types.
- Among all, thickness is an important aspect to consider. Neoprene socks are usually 1mm-5mm thick. Socks below 2 mm are considered as light and thin neoprene socks, while those above 3 mm are thick and more durable socks.
- While selecting neoprene socks, always know that thick socks are best for winters, as they provide warmth and a layer of protection needed to keep your feet dry. Moreover, they are also more comfortable for the footbed.
- Similarly, thin socks that are below 2mm are best for summers.
- The second is grip. Though you don’t need ultra-level socks grip for hiking, like one needs for surfing, still the grip is always good. The best traction or grip comes in botties, which are neoprene socks made for surfers.
- You should also know that lot of neoprene socks come as unisex socks. So size can be an issue with too narrow or too wide feet. So, for that, you should bring down one size. What’s the best thing about neoprene socks is that they are flexible and Stretchable.
Best neoprene socks for hiking in summer
Simms Neoprene wading socks
Neoprene wading socks are one of the most talked-about socks among fishers. But guess what you can also use them for hiking as well.
These socks are 2.5mm thick, which makes them good for summer hikes. You can wear them with waterproof hiking shoes, or summer shoes.
These socks can prevent water from entering inside and making your feet wet. If you are hiking where you need to pass the river crossings, then this may be the best bet.
Well, the best thing is that, if you get any defective piece for any reason, the brand will replace it with a new one.
Moreover, you can also get your socks repaired, if they are worn out ( they will charge you some fees for this).
The only thing I don’t like about these socks is the price. Though the price completely depends on the size of your feet, you are good if you have small feet for people with large feet, say above 12, then the price goes up to $72.
If you fall in the 12 size category then, I recommend you to buy any other option. However, if you have small feet or medium, then this should be your choice for warm days.
Neoprene premium 2mm waterproof socks
Another one of the best neoprene socks for hiking. This sock provides you versatility as you can do snorkeling, wakeboarding, canoeing, and hiking.
You can buy these neoprene socks if you are hiking the narrows.
For a perfect fit buy a size down, as they come large. These socks come in the men’s version, but females can also wear them, just buy the size down. If you have size 7 shoes then buy size 6 socks.
The durability of the socks is also great along with traction sole features.
You can wear these socks for summer hikes with your trainers or summer hiking shoes.
Best neoprene socks for hiking in winter
One of the best sellers in the market, neoprene booties are one the best neoprene socks for hiking in winter.
These socks come in two different sizes and thicknesses. First is 3mm neoprene booties waterproof socks, that are in the middle of warm and cold.
These socks work great in mild winters and protect your feet from water and sand.
This is a unisex sock and comes in different colors and options.
It also comes in a 5mm option, which is thick enough to provide you warmth while hiking in cold winters and keeps your feet dry at the same time.
It also has an anti-slip sole, which is basically a rubber sole that makes your feet stay in one place, making it a comfortable option for slippery surfaces and for incline trails.
If you want budget-friendly neoprene socks that provide great durability and feature then buy these socks.
The pair cost you between $13- $16, depending on your size.
Heimarmene 3mm Neoprene Socks
Another option that can consider is 3mm neoprene socks for hiking. Just like other socks, these can also be used in fishing, surfing, hiking, etc.
It also has antislip which protects your feet from slipping. These socks will cost you around $15 a pair.
Best socks for hiking in water
How to wash neoprene socks?
The best way to wash your neoprene socks is to hand wash them with a mild detergent in the water below 40 degrees celsius.
Things to avoid while washing neoprene socks
- Washing it in a washing machine
- Using strong detergent
- Scrubbing hard with the brush
Neoprene socks can be washed like your other clothes, as the material doesn’t demand extra care like natural fabrics.
After your socks get wet or dirty, wash, rinse off the dirt, and allow it to soak up.
The drying process for neoprene socks
The drying process depends on how thick your neoprene socks are. If it’s below 3 mm then it may take less time in contrast to if you have neoprene socks that are above 3mm thick.
- The proper way to dry neoprene socks without damaging the fabric is to dry them by putting on a flat towel.
- Moreover, you can also hang them on something to let the air soak up all the water.
- You should never use a tumble dry process to dry your neoprene socks as it will damage the fabric or melt it because of excessive heat.
Are neoprene socks 100 percent waterproof?
There are no socks in the world that are 100 percent waterproof and it is the same with neoprene socks. However, neoprene socks are more efficient in preventing water from entering inside and keeping feet dry.
Because of this reason, neoprene takes more time to dry if it gets wet. In case it gets wet, the first thing you should do is take them off and wear another pair of socks. Always carry an extra pair of socks (merino socks in winters)with you while hiking.