The camping Propane heater is a necessity while camping in winter outdoors. These are super comfortable to use and can be easily carried to your desired tent location. To generate enough warmth for every corner of your tent, it is required a specific propane heater that will suit your tent. We have accommodated the list of best Propane Camping Heaters, which are best in the market of portable heaters for camping. Check out the details and find that will suit your needs.
Let’s get ready!
Best Camping Propane Heater
Here are the 9 best camping propane heaters to use in your winter camping trip:
1. Texsport Portable Propane Camping Heater
The Texsport Portable Outdoor Propane Heater is widely used by hunters and campers in cold temperatures. Due to its convenient design, it can be easily accessed by campers and beginner hikers. This heater provides enough warmth for a small group of campers in a tent and gets rid of that cold in the tent.
With its minimalistic design, it can also be used in your home and garage. It looks classy and has enough power to provide heat to make your small room comfortable in a cold environment.
Hikers find this camping heater very easy to use and operate, and it is one of the few propane camping heaters that are used in extremely cold areas. Hikers with frozen hands have used this heater, and they have given this 5 stars in terms of heating capacity.
- Reflector materials used in this are aluminum with a combination of a stainless steel burner.
- Plated Nickel is interested in Safety Grid.
- To enhance the stability of the heater, a large paddle food base built with strong durable plastic is used.
Heat Capacity: This heater has the power of producing heat up to 2,890 BTUs, using a basic disposable propane cylinder.
Safety Features: Automatic Shut-off valve is inserted into the heater. This provides safety to the campers, by disabling the unit in case it flames out.
Important: This heater is a perfect choice for a 10 x 10-foot size tent, or you can use it outdoors.
- This portable camping heater is durable and can last for a few years without causing any issue due to its build quality.
- It can also be used indoors in your home garage, and yes even in your camping tent. ( There is no health hazard risk with using it indoors.
- A one-pound cylinder provides warmth for up to six hours, and standard propane cylinders are disposable and easily available at any shop.
- This portable heater is less than two pounds, and thus suitable for your camping trip at high altitudes.
2. Martin Infrared Propane Gas Heater Parabolic
The Martin Portable Infrared propane Gas Heater is one of the highest BTUs emitting heaters. It serves a thermal output of 3,100 BTUs, which is the highest level for a portable heater for outdoor use. With its portable design and its extreme thermal output generation, this heater is widely used by hunters and campers in extremely cold temperatures.
Due to its sturdy design and its high thermal output, this heater can be used in the garage, home, and even on high-altitude camping trips. It has a stunning design and can provide heat to warm a small room in just a few minutes.
Operating this heater is very easy and can be used by any nonexperience camper. Apart from operating, it also has safety features that make it a suitable choice to bring it to your outdoor camping in cold weather.
- Includes a large extendable cylinder plastic base for greater stability. Regardless of what the outdoors throw at it, it will always hold.
- Adjustable Heat Control( Metal) – It allows you to set the temperature of the heater, you can turn it off, set it to low, medium, or high.
Heat Capacity: This heater is capable of producing heat up to 31/0 BTUs, using a basic disposable propane cylinder.
Safety Features: Automatic Shut-off valve is inserted into the heater. This provides safety to the campers, by disabling the unit in case it flames out.
Important: This heater is a perfect choice for a 12 x 12-foot size tent, or you can use it outdoors.
- The heater can last up to 7 hours on its highest setting, with a standard one-pound cylinder.
- The heater is highly durable due to its plastic base and its metal structure and can be used for a few years.
- The portable heater doesn’t produce heat with open flames, reducing the risk of fire.
- Can be used inside the tent, home as the heater does not generate fumes or emit any dangerous CO2.
3. Mr. Heater Buddy Small Propane Heater
This is one the biggest thermal output generation units on our list of the maximum power of 4000 to 9000 BTU. In simple words, it can heat a large area in seconds. Frequent campers are quite fond of this heater and given this a 5 Star rating in terms of heating capacity in big tents.
Unlike other propane camping heaters, this doesn’t have a cylinder shape but has a rectangular shape. The propane cylinder is added to the back and increases the stability of the heater.
With a BTU rating of 4,000 to 9,000, this propane heater can be used in spaces up to 200 square feet. So, even if you are a group of campers a 0° celsius temperature, this helmet will provide enough warmth to everyone.
Operating this propane heater is quite easy, as it is equipped with a swivel regulator, that allows you to monitor the usage of the disposable cylinder to a remote gas supply. To start the system just rotate the knob and push it. Inside the heater, the piezo sparking mechanism begins the heating.
- Easy to carry, with its rectangular metallic handle.
- The heater is lightweight and can be easily carried to high altitudes, as it only weighs 9.8 lb.
- The cylinder is screwed down on the sides of the heater, which boosts the stability of the heater.
- The heater is fully metallic, and an aluminum grill is present on the heater, to avoid any touching of the hot heater rods.
Heat Capacity: This heater is capable of producing heat up to 4000-9000 BTUs, using a basic disposable propane cylinder.
Safety Features: Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS) and accidental tip-over safety shut-off are added to the heater for the safety of the canoers inside the tent.
In addition, the special feature allows the heater to stop in times of low oxygen levels ( if detected).
Important: This heater is a perfect choice for a large size tent, or you can use it outdoors.
The tent may shut off at high altitudes( over 7,000 ft above sea level.
- Even after one panel runs low, you can get 8-10 hours of heat.
- The propane heater is fully safe to use inside the tent or close indoors.
- Also, it is one of few heaters that offer 100% clean energy.
4. Stansport Portable Propane Camping Heater
The stansport portable propane heater is similar. to the Texsport propane heater as both the heater provides heat up to 3100 BTUs. The prime feature of this heater, us it’s easy to carry and handle. A small metal disc that can be rotated to any direction of your choosing, and a large foot stand add stability to the heater.
You can easily adjust the heat level of the heater, as there are four main heat adjustable options; Off, Low, Medium, and High. You just have to rotate a Knob to change the option. Although, the knob is plastic.
To add safety to the propane heater, a metal front cage is inserted, that helps to avoid any burns from accidental touches. The design is very compact, and the heater only weighs 1.8 pounds, because most heaters are made of plastic, like the plastic base, to support the heater.
- Supports thermal capacity if 3100 BTUs
- The front cage is a metal that avoids any burn from accidental touches.
- Heat management system available that supports controlling the heat emission.
- No auto shut off session available
Heat Capacity: This heater is capable of producing heat up to 3100 BTUs, using a basic disposable propane cylinder of 1.6oz.
Safety Features: No auto shut-off sensor available.
Important: This heater is a perfect choice for a small size tent, or you can use it outdoors.
- The design of the heater is very compact, which makes it easy to carry to different locations.
- Provides precisely focused heating, with 4 different modes.
5. Mr. Heater Little Buddy Propane Heater
This is the best portable propane camping heater, for a solo trip. This heater is designed for solo hikers, during their trip in winter. The design is compact like a lamp at your home, which you can take wherever you want.
Mr. Heater is a reliable company in making propane heaters, and since it’s launched, this heater is one of the favorites for every solo hiker in the world.
This heater is smaller than the Radiant and is made to heat tent space up to 95 square feet. Therefore, the Little Buddy would be great for one-person, and small two-person tents. Not only that, but this Mr. Heater product can be used to heat tight spaces due to its small stand and 45-degree heating angle.
The heater is equipped with a low oxygen sensor, that disables the heater in times of low oxygen level, which is a safety feature, that avoids worst-case scenario while winter camping
- The heater is lightweight and weighs only about 5 pounds.
- The design is compact, with a strong durable plastic. You can spit hikers, hang this around with their backpack, and sometimes even throw it, and it still runs smoothly.
- The heater can run up to 5-6 hours with a 1 lb cylinder.
- The stand plastic is hard, and can not be bent or cracked, and is suitable for the terrain.
- An easy-grip handle is available that makes it easy to carry it to different places.
Heat Capacity: The heater is capable of producing radiant heat up to 1600 BTUs. It can provide warmth up to 95 square feet.
Safety Features: Low-oxygen sensor and accidental tip-over switch with auto shut-off for safety are interested in the heater, for the safety of the campers.
Important: This heater is a perfect choice for a small size tent, mainly for a single or two-person.
Never use this heater in a moving vehicle.
- Strong, durable plastic made for all-terrain.
- Can run up to 5-6 hours with a single cylinder.
- Safe to use inside the tent.
- A hard steel cage is inserted on the heater, to avoid accidental burn from touching.
6. Dura Portable Propane heater
Dura is a well-established heating brand in North America, and this TT-360 propane tank top heater is one of the best sellers of the company.
The heater is designed for outdoor use, mainly camping and winter hunting, thus it has all the things accurately which you need and a propane heater.
To use it inside the tent, the heat is built to keep you and your family safe. It has auto shut-offs in case of tip-overs and lights out. To further enhance safety, there is a strong chrome guard to avoid accidental touch. This model is available with either a match light ignition or a piezoelectric spark ignition system.
Campers can easily carry this heater in their backpack, as it only weighs around five pounds.
- Chrome guard to avoid accidental burn from touching.
- The 360-degree radiant heating method allows the heat to cover every corner of the tent.
- The chrome and stainless steel used in the heater, make this versatile and durable for all-terrain. Also, the heat is corrosion and rust-resistant-free.
Heat Capacity: The heater comes with different presets, and heat can be adjusted; 30,000 BTUs, 35,000 BTUs, and 40,000 BTUs.
Safety Features: The heater has an auto-shift sensor that turns off the heater if anything wrong goes on( tip over). In addition, the stainless steel and chrome guard make this a rugged propane camping heater.
Important: Despite its small size, this heater can provide warmth to a big family tent.
- The heater has the ability to provide heat at 40,000 BTUs/hr. for 9-10 hours from a 20-pounds propane cylinder.
- The heater is durable and can be used in all-terrain and under every weather condition.
7. Camco Olympian RV Propane Heater
The Olympian Wave camping propane heater is one of the safest heaters in the market. It is widely popular for use in RVs. It is suitable RV campers can store 20- pound propane tanks, then a regular hiker or camper.
If you are going on an RV, or with a huge family, this might be a single heater you should opt for. This single heater will provide sufficient warmth for your entire family.
The heater is available in their different ranges
- Wave 8 Heater – 4,200 to 8,000 BTUs with a heat range of up to 290 square feet
- Wave 6 Heater – 3,200 to 6,000 BTUs with a heat range of up to 230 square feet
- Wave 3 Heater – 1,600 to 3,000 BTUs with a heat range of up to 130 square feet
- Strong durable plastic at the bottom, increased the stability of the heater.
- The operating process is easy, as hikers just have to push a single button to start the heater.
- The heater is mainly built with aluminum and stainless steel, and you could hardly find a trace of plastic on the heater.
Heat Capacity: The heat capacity varies in different models. The highest model can provide warmth up to 8000 BTUs, which is enough to heat a big family tent of 290 square feet.
Important: Keep proper ventilation while using the heater inside the tent. An unused heater can lead up to an increased risk of catalyst pad poisoning.
- Integrated reliable Piezo ignition system that allows the heater to work in high altitudes too.
- However, the heater is not compatible with a 1 pound propane tank.
- Operates quietly and safely due to the catalytic heat technology
- Chrome Rods extend the safety from accidental touch.
8. Mr. Heater MH30T Propane Heater
This is the third appearance of the Mr. Heater brand on our list of best-camping propane heaters. This heater is popular with small families or groups of 4 members.
The heater is extremely easy to assemble and can be carried to high altitudes, because of its lightweight design.
The dual heater tank provides enough warmth to cover 200 square feet of the area. It is mainly built with stainless steel, for maximum longevity and endurance.
- The heater heads are not adjustable but built with stainless steel and aluminum.
- The heater looks stylish and resembles the Wall-E.
- Compact and lightweight design.
- Adjustable heat output options.
Heat Capacity: Adjustable heat regulator allows the camper to change heat according to his preference. The heater offers three different types; Hi – 30,000 BTUs, Med – 24,000 BTUs to Lo – 10,000 BTUs.
By choosing a low sitting in heat capacity, the heat can run more than 40+ hours. However, in a high setting, it only lasts up to 13 hours.
Safety Features: The heater lacked most of the standard safety, which are available in other brands at the same price. It is because this heater is mainly built for outdoor use, rather than inside tent use
Important: Don’t use this heater inside the tent, as there are auto shut off sensor features in the heater.
The heater is compact and lightweight and only weighs about 5 pounds.
Setting up for the first time the heater can be a hassle.
3 different modes for Heat capacity.
Utilizes two heaters for more effective heat transfer
9. Hiland LP-195C Propane Camping heater
This propane is widely used by hunters, as it has a compact design that makes it easy to carry to different locations easily. In addition, during hunting, the hunter needs a rock-hard heater that can survive all-terrain, and few falls and scratches.
This Portable Tank Top Heater is built mainly from steel and aluminum that making it sturdy and durable. The design is similar to the Texport camping propane heater.
For safety precautions, the heater is inserted with an anti-tilt switch that turns off the heater in case of some knock this heater upside down.
It is one of few propane heaters on the market that are CSA certified.
Heat Capacity: The heater is capable of generating 3,000 BTUs of warmth that can easily warm an area of 150 square feet.
Safety Features: Only an anti-tilt switch is provided, and it lacks several features that are available on the other propane heater from different brands, at the same price.
Important: Low oxygen sensor and auto shut off if flames out are some of the safety features that are missing.
- This heater can easily last up to 3-4 hours with a single disposable propane cylinder.
- It should be used outdoors, rather than inside the tent, as some safety features are missing.
How to Use a Cast Iron Skillet Over a Fire in outdoor camping
Outdoor Shower Ideas for Camping
How to Wash Hair While Camping : Step by Step Guide
Safety Features Of Camping Heaters Indoor
Using a camping propane heater inside the tent contains a risk. If you buy the best propane heater, you have surely included more safety features than a regular one.
However, before using a heater on your final trip, you should try it a few times, to know for sure that the heater is working fine.
Apart from safety, where you are going to place your heater is also an important decision. A tent is a small space, so you can’t put it far away from you, and if you place the heater closely, you’ll have a risk of accidentally touching the heater. Also, tent walls and other gear in your camping tent, are potentially flammable gear.
Keep proper ventilation, when you are using a propane camping heater, so that carbon monoxide and other dangerous gas released from the heater escape from the tent.
Important: Do not sleep with your heater turned on.
To add more safety to your camping, you can buy a heater that has these safety features. These will help you keep extra safe when using a camping propane heater.
Accidental Tip-Over Switch: Common feature is most of the propane heater, and it functions whenever someone knocks it over, the heater is turned off.
Automatic Shut-Off: Best feature for propane heaters, and very few propane heaters accommodate this. This feature turns off the fuel if it detects the flames have gone out (e.g. Texsport Propane) or if the heater is been working for a few hours without interruption from the camper.
Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS): This feature runs off the heater if a low oxygen level is detected. This protects the camper from carbon monoxide poisoning. Eg. On all Mr. Heater products.
Overheating Protection: This feature turns off the heater if overheating is detected.
Lastly, always make sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions and adhere to their guidance for using the camping propane heaters.
Can you use propane heater indoors?
Yes, propane heaters are safe to be put inside the tent during winter camping.
Winter camping would be impossible without the use of propane camping heaters. With these, you could enjoy the cold weather outside the tent, and when you are back in the tent, set up your camping propane heater to experience the warmth from that.
However, using a heater inside the tent can be dangerous. It is because the heater is an electric hot appliance, and a slight wrong connection can lead to a fire.
The tent is a closed space, and there is very little space to create a separate area for the heater, but if you don’t the heater will end up burning your entire tent.
Also, not all propane heaters have superior quality. In addition, the propane heaters are built for outdoor use, as these tend to produce carbon monoxide.
So, you have to be very cautious while using the propane heater inside the tent.